Ramblings of a Dietetics Major


Thursday, November 15, 2012

Back to where it all began

You know those times in life when everything falls into place all at once and you’re left being decently confident of what you’re meant to do in life? Well, I’m pretty sure that has just happened to me in the past week. Now that I have you all curious, I’ll proceed to my story. J

For the past ~3 weeks, I have been in outpatient bariatrics and have absolutely loved it. I like inpatient, I really do, but my passion for preventative healthcare has been revived this fall. Even though OP Bari is comprised of a lot of rules and more “black and white” nutrition recommendations, I really enjoyed the experience. Being able to counsel and educate individuals who are pondering and/or in the midst of making lifestyle changes is encouraging and it was great to see how some patients’ lives are completely changed through weight loss. I am able to see much more clearly just how multi-faceted the “obesity epidemic” is in our society and how debilitating this disease can be to an individual’s health and well being. I’m thankful to have had the opportunity to work alongside my preceptor to help change lives. Side note: I was also able to observe surgery (a roux-en-y gastric bypass) during this rotation. Yes, I was in the OR. In scrubs. Awesome, I know.
So, aside from being able to be involved with patients on a less acute, more personal level, I have also been pondering my path for next year, as I know that June will be here before I know it. Recent classes, conversations, etc., have all confirmed to me that my skill set, personality, talents fit best in a community nutrition setting, which is ironically where this 5+ year journey began in the spring of my junior year of high school. I left the two-day Iowa Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics (IAND) conference today revived and excited for the future of my profession, particularly as our society as a whole combats health crises and complicated food systems. Programs promoting community gardening for kids and encouraging greater vegetable consumption are current areas being implemented and are areas in which I can see myself flourishing. Additionally, pursuing a master’s in public health (MPH) has also been in the back of my mind for some time, especially given that I am currently connected to the University of Iowa College of Public Health through my internship at UIHC. And, every day at work confirms that I love HyVee and want to stay there.  Oh, and, last but certainly not least, I am incredibly blessed to have found a church that is passionate about serving the local community, one through which I am able to be encouraged, find community, and also serve others. All these factors combine to make me desire very much to stay in Iowa City.
That being said, the past week has provided me with many networking opportunities, covering grad school options, possible TA/GA opportunities (which would mean my grad school would be paid for or substantially reduced in price. And, I would get to teach again!), career opportunities once I complete my internship, etc. Encouraging times, to be sure. God has truly answered my prayers for direction and I am excited for what the future holds.  I’m thankful for what God has placed in my path and for the peace I feel in making these decisions. Nothing is for certain, and I know that doors could be closed. However, at least I know where to direct my efforts. At least for now.
My production/catering rotation begins on Monday! I’m excited to be reunited with my former kitchen worker self.  I’ll be sure to provide an update… once I remember how to find my way down to the kitchen. J

No comments:

Post a Comment